NEW! report on Washington organic farm, acres, and sales for 2016. Data table format.
NEW! report on organic agriculture in Washington State for 2016. Includes state, national, and global data.
NEW! report on organic tree fruit in Washington State for 2016. Includes state, national, and global data.
NEW! Organic Trade Association announces results of 2017 organic industry survey, covering organic sales in the U.S. in 2016. They also recently released the report U.S. Organic Trade Data 2011 to 2016 which includes information on imports and exports of over 140 organic products.
Washington Organic Agriculture
Reports are developed annually on the organic sector in Washington state, and extensive historical data are available and presented as trends. When available, data on the U.S. organic sector and Washington’s position are also included, drawing on the Organic Producer Surveys and other sources.
- Current status of certified organic agriculture in Washington state: 2016. E. Kirby and D. Granatstein. A summary of the Washington organic sector in 2016, including certified and transition crop acres, dairy numbers, and organic farm gate sales. Additional data on national and global trends are included as well as a summary of key findings for Washington from the 2015 USDA Organic Producer Survey. Includes multi-year graphs of selected crops, dairy, and sales. Powerpoint format.
- Current status of certified organic agriculture in Washington state: 2015. E. Kirby and D. Granatstein. A summary of the Washington organic sector in 2015, including certified and transition crop acres, dairy numbers, and organic farm gate sales. Additional data on national and global trends are included as well as a summary of key findings for Washington from the 2014 USDA Organic Producer Survey. Includes multi-year graphs of selected crops, dairy, and sales. Powerpoint format.
- Washington Organic Agriculture Data, 2004-2016. A searchable spreadsheet containing all the annual data developed by WSU, based on certifier records, from 2004 to 2016. Includes area by specific crop, area by county, number of certified farms by county, estimate of gross farmgate sales by county, and numbers of organic dairy cows. A downloadable Excel file.
- Snapshot of organic farming 2016. D. Granatstein and E. Kirby. This article provides a review of key data on the Washington organic sector in 2015 and some preliminary data for 2016. From Tilth Producers Quarterly, January 2017.
- An analysis yields, revenues, and prices for select organic fruits and vegetables in Washington State, USA. D. Granatstein, E. Kirby, and M. Brady. 2016. Acta Hort 1137:307-313.
- Opportunities and Challenges of Organic Highbush Blueberry Production in Washington State. L DeVetter et al. 2015. HortTech 25(6):796-804.
- Certified organic acreage and sales in Washington state: 2007-2015. E. Kirby and D. Granatstein, 2017. WSU Extension publication TB43E.
Detailed tables showing specific crop acreages from 2007-2015, farm numbers and organic acres by county, and organic farm gate sales by county (through 2013). Numbers of organic dairies and dairy cows are also included.
- Trends and Economics of Washington State Organic Vegetable Production, EM097E, D. Granatstein, E. Kirby, and M. Brady. 2015. WSU Extension Fact Sheet EM097E. 29 pages. Contains details on area, value, yields, prices, and revenue per acre for organic sweet corn, green peas, snap beans, potatoes, onions, and carrot. Includes distributions of yields and prices, references on production costs, and break-even tables. Based on data from 2009-2012.
- Trends and Economics of Washington State Organic Blueberry Production, M. Brady, E. Kirby, and D. Granatstein. 2015. WSU Extension Fact Sheet FS154E.
- Washington Organic agriculture at a glance, a short summary of some key statistics about organic agriculture in the state, with data updated through 2013.
- Trends in Washington State Organic berry production, acreage, and crop value. E. Kirby, M. Brady, and D. Granatstein. 2014. WSU Extension Fact Sheet FS144E.
- Organic Statistics page, CSANR (Center for Sustainable Agriculture and Natural Resources
Organic Tree Fruit Resources
Reports are developed annually on the organic tree fruit sector as well as global trends as published by in the World of Organic Agriculture yearbook. When available, data on the U.S. are also included, but are not regularly collected by USDA.
- Recent trends in certified organic tree fruit: Washington State 2016 (Powerpoint format)
- Recent trends in certified organic tree fruit: Washington State 2015 (Powerpoint format)
- Increasing Organic Production: Where Are We Headed? (January 2016, Powerpoint format)
- Organic Apple Outlook: 2015 crop and beyond. Matt Miles (Powerpoint format)
- Organic Apple Market update. Matt Miles. Current situation as of Jan. 1, 2014 and comparison of trends for this year’s crop versus last year. Powerpoint format.
- Global situation for organic tree fruits. D. Granatstein et al. 2016. Scientia Hort. 208:3-12.
- Status of Organic Tree Fruit in Washington State. E. Kirby and D. Granatstein. 2012. EM046E, Washington State University Extension.
- World of Organic Agriculture. An annual report on global trends.
- USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS). Has done Organic Producer Surverys in 2008, 2011, 2014, and 2015.
- USDA Agricultural Marketing Service has many organic reports through the Market News,including: Organic Dairy; Livestock, Poultry and Grain; National Organic Grain and Feedstuffs; Organic Poultry and Eggs; Weekly Feed and Seed Summary; Specialty Crops (a searchable database, includes fruits and vegetables); Cotton; Retail Markets (local and organic).
- USDA Economic Research Service (ERS). Has a variety of organic related products.
- USDA Foreign Agriculture Service has international trade data for many organic products in its Global Agricultural Trade System.
- USDA National Organic Program Organic Integrity Database. Allows searching by state, certifier, crop or livestock.